Hey all! Today I wanted to share a couple of cute Henley style shirts I made using McCall’s 6747 shirts and dresses pattern! I’ve used this pattern in the past to make a cute dress and a shirt which I threw away. The first shirt I made with this pattern didn’t work out – I used a fabric that was too lightweight and it didn’t hold it’s shape… the placket stretched out badly so it ended up in the garbage. I made these versions in a gorgeous dusty pink jersey with a nice drape, and a super soft oatmeal and dark blue stripe french terry. I made these shirts after online window shopping some beautiful shirts at Free People! I love their aesthetic, but I’m not paying those prices.
For these shirts, I made some modifications to the pattern. Firstly, I had already given this pattern an FBA. * EDIT* I decided to go back in and add a picture of my FBA adjustment. This is my own variation of an FBA, it works well for me and allows me to do an FBA without a bust dart. It works well for the kind of shaped hem I like, since I fold out length at the arm pit and add the length back in right over the bust, which is where I want the extra length in my shirts. You could also just modify the bottom hem to be straight across, and still have the extra width as well.
This pattern has a lot of wearing ease making it a more loose fit, but I wanted to make sure that the drape over the bust was flattering and didn’t pull. I made a curved hemline that is slightly longer in the back instead of the straight hem the pattern comes with – it’s more flattering and is on trend right now. I also created a back yoke by tracing one off from the original pattern, leaving the original center back seam below the yoke. I created long cuffs for the sleeves, and I respaced the buttons on the front placket to accommodate more buttons.
I got these gorgeous vintage buttons at a thrift store in Rhode Island last winter, right around this time when Jeff and I were visiting his parents! I love how distressed they are – they are some kind of metal with an enamel over it. The cardboard was so old it disintegrated as I pulled the buttons off. I love the idea of wearing history – I wonder if someone using these buttons 10o years ago ever thought of a person using them this far in the future!
I used some scraps of chambray left over from another project to make a contrast front placket and neck band on the striped shirt. I love the way this turned out! I modified the sewing of the placket to suit my design for this shirt, instead of using the method described in the McCall’s 6747 pattern instructions.
Since I had to cut the chambray neck bend on the straight instead of on the bias (I only had a small scrap) It didn’t have the same stretch quality as it should have. I had to clip the curves to get it to ease in, and it has a little bit of gapping. However, I love it and I don’t thing it’s an issue. I’ve seen similar issues on RTW clothes as well.
I also made a YouTube video about these shirts! I really love the process of sewing my own clothes. I’ve been on a journey of making my own clothes for the last several years, and I get asked about it a lot. I think it’s achievable for anyone – you just have to get started! If anyone has anything they would like me to cover or talk about in a video, please let me know! I would also be happy to review any sewing patterns that anyone has requests for, or make recommendations for patterns to make a specific garment with!
So there you go! I hope you enjoyed my overview of the shirts I made using McCall’s 6747 sewing pattern! Feel free to let me know in comments if you have any feedback or suggestions! xoxo!